We are seeking a virtual Executive Underwriter to join our team. You’ll be tasked with underwriting life insurance in a fast-paced, diverse work environment that is inclusive and values different experiences, backgrounds and knowledge.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work with peers and reinsurance partners on Ultra-High Net Worth cases (US Citizen and Non-US Citizen) in excess of $20 million and as large as $165 million.
- Use strong reinsurance negotiation skills.
- Working knowledge of premium financing, facultative, pro athlete, etc. of significant value.
- Evaluate and handle all underwriting aspects of formal & informal life insurance applications
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through evaluation of an individual’s medical history or physical condition, occupational hazard, and financial background
- Deliver the best offer first to drive the sale and not only a decision.
- Provide efficient, quality service to third party firms, their staff and their advisors
- Communicate effectively with customers to explain underwriting decisions and facilitate placement of business
- Understand underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures
- Influence and champion changes to improve processes while maintaining mortality expectations
- Tailor communication style to fit a variety of target audiences, i.e. agency, new business personnel and foster relationships with advisors and third party partners
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders to gather information necessary for decision making and to select profitable risks
- Provide consultations with third party firms to resolve, rate questions and discrepancies, or risk related concerns. Consider total case financials, relationship and value of customer
- Leverage interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills to develop relationships with key business partners across this competitive landscape, which can be relied on to inform decisions and communicate underwriting decisions
- Able to independently work assigned requests with minimal direction. Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Build trust and foster strong rapport with colleagues, business partners, and third party customers
- High school diploma or GED
- 7+ years life insurance underwriting experience with over $5 million life approval limit.
- Expert knowledge of all aspects of risk selection (medical, non-medical, financial)
- Mastery of key underwriting concepts, best practices, and procedures including identifying exposures to loss, material hazards, and implementation of necessary risk management controls
- Strong knowledge of UW administrative systems, product rules, Underwriting Guidelines and medical factors impacting mortality and the keen ability to position with brokers and sales partners.
- Demonstrated track record of working with minimal supervision, being a self-starter and working with others in a team environment
- Ability to think critically, problem solve using data to drive toward resolution
- Positive, inclusive, agile, and collaborative mindset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelors degree
- 10+ years underwriting experience (most current 3+ years on life insurance)
- $10+ million life approval limit without second sign (all ratings, ages) including 3+ years on third-party life insurance experience
- Term and permanent life insurance underwriting
- Knowledge of disability underwriting
- Third party distribution, banks or wire house underwriting experiences
- Reinsurance experience
- Industry exams completed, i.e. FMLI, FALU, CLU, ChFC
Salary Range $125,900 – $145,800 w/ annual bonus opportunity
**Commensurate with experience**
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.